This past weekend, staying at home, working around the corral gave me the opportunity to see the beginning of life and the end of it. During the day I spent some time at the sheep corral; keeping my eye on them since lately they have been having lambs. My grandma shares with us that the sheep are having their lambs to early and should be born until April or sometimes in the spring. Usually owners would take the ram out for awhile and let the ram back in the pack in November to allow them for breeding but our ram stayed in the herd all season.
So with the moms having their lambs in the winter causes most of their babes to freeze in the cold especially when their all wet with that gooey stuff all over them. In the morning it is so depressing to walk over to the corral and find a babe sheep lying frozen to the ground. The mother acts like nothing happened; she just smells her dead babe and walks off to eat again. I wonder if a sheep has any emotions? The horrible part is when I have to pick up their body. As I walk to them, I have that lasting hope that they will make a noise or move around but as I get closer I realize that it is the end for them. Sorry as I feel I have to grab their scrawny body and tear them from the ground they are frozen to. When I walk off with that babe, it makes me realize how grateful I am to have my life to this day because anything can happen especially at birth. I would have never had a chance to live part of this life but I got to do it. So just be thankful for the life you got to live even though it may be hard, I bet you anything that the sheep if a child would have loved to at least live part of it.
On the other hand it is really awesome to see the beginning of a new lamb especially when it tries to walk and falls over but keeps trying over and over. Or during the times when all the little lambs huddle up in a corner and they start playing around, it just makes me laugh when they buck around and run into their mom’s legs. It just reminds me when I was small and I used to play around with my cousins running around outside. It is always good to charish those moments where you laugh and play around. The best moment is Saturday evening, me and my father were watching this sheep try to have her baby but she could not do it so we came in to help her. My hands were smaller so I had to dig in to find the head, it was kind of hard to pull the head out but finally I pulled it out. The babe lay there lifeless but all of a sudden to our surprise it started to cry. For awhile I wanted to be a veterinarian but I realized there was more worse things than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment